Sunday, November 23, 2008

In the Blink of an Eye

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."  Dr. Seuss

My son's long-anticipated birthday party has now come and gone in (what seems like) the blink of an eye.  So much work goes into these things even if you have the party somewhere other than your home.  Phone calls, scheduling, invitations, e-mails, buying items for goody bags, assembling the goody bags, ordering the cake, buying the partyware, picking up the cake, picking up "extras" i.e. candles, etc.  

We took nine little kids to see the Disney movie "Bolt", play video games and have cake and presents.  I should've realized that five and six year olds don't stay put like they should.  They don't listen.  They don't always use their manners.  And they use the restroom about four times an hour.  But the best thing is how they are very accepting of one another.  One child might be shy, another a bit wild, and the rest somewhere in between.  In the end, they are a good group of kids, and they are all friends.  

My son was very gracious and had pretty good manners - even after having caffeine and sugar - and he thanked each friend for the present.  He even thanked my husband and I for the party on the way home.  But one of the best moments of the day was given to me by one of my son's friends.  He is a very quiet little boy who rarely speaks.  When you talk to him, he turns bright red in the face and looks down.  He seemed to have fun and played video games by himself.  I payed extra attention to him because he was so introverted.  When I gave him back to his Mom at the end of the party, his Mom asked him if he had fun, and he said, "Mom, it was the best!" This made all the preparation worthwhile.  

Another little friend was returned to his Mom, and the mother told him to tell me "thank you".  The kid walked up to me, smiled and burped.  The mother was mortified.  I'm so glad my kids aren't the only ones who do stuff like that!  

I will try and put pictures in the next blog post.  

I am tired.  

"A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway."  Fr. Jerome Cummings 

No comments:

Post a Comment