Saturday, February 13, 2010

Everything I Needed to Know in Life I Learned From American Idol

I watch a handful of TV shows each week. Some are complete trash - i.e. Grey's Anatomy. I don't care about any of the characters on that show. The writing is completely unrealistic. But sometimes there is a neat plot twist, maybe a surprise or two, and I loves me some McDreamy. Patrick Dempsey just has those EYES. I could watch him with the sound off.

Then there is Lost. Great writing 98% of the time. Wonderful actors. We all need a little mystery in our lives, and this show delivers. And there is Josh Holloway. Not that I watch TV just to see the cute guys. Sheesh. But, truth be told, it's a dead dog that doesn't wag its tail.

As a rule, I hate reality shows. However, I love American Idol. I'm hooked on Idol from the first audition to the finale. I enjoy watching the truly talented contestants and the train wrecks. But I think there is much to be learned from watching Idol.

1) Life is not always fair. Bad things happen to good people.

2) Life is what you make it. Even people who get voted off go on to have fantastic careers.

3) There is usually a freak around every corner. Enjoy the weirdness. It keeps life interesting.
4) Sometimes the stars align just right, and magic can happen.

5) People who take what they've learned, mix it up and make it their own can have great success.

6) It's all about choices. Make the choice. Live with the consequences.

7) Choose who you listen to carefully. There are good mentors and bad mentors. There is good advice and bad advice.

8) Be fearless. You may fall short. You may come up on top. You will gain the respect and admiration of others.

9) There will always be someone more and less talented than yourself. Life would be boring if everyone were the same.

10) Everyone has good and bad days. Life goes on.

11) The most talented person doesn't always win. Life is a popularity contest at times.

12) There is always an a**hole that will tell you what to do. Try and find a nugget of truth in his negativity, learn from it and move on.

13) Be true to yourself. Know who you are. Do what you love.

14) Keep looking forward. Learn from the past but don't dwell on it. You might miss what lies ahead.

15) We all have to do things we don't want to do. Suck it up. Don't think about it, just do it.

16) We are all judged on our looks. Sad but true.

17) You'll never know if you can do something if you don't try.

It's not a perfect world, is it? If it were, Patrick Dempsey and Josh Holloway would be co-hosts of American Idol, and I would be able to sing. Good thing we always have dreams to fall back on. Sometimes it makes reality less harsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment