Sunday, September 14, 2008

In the Beginning . . .

There was a woman who thought she would try her hand at being a Sunday School teacher . . .  

I arrived at Sunday School today feeling very prepared.  I had the Theme.  I had the Lesson Plan.  I had the coloring pages and snacks and activities.  Out of eight children, four showed up today.  A little smiling girl was there before my son and I arrived.  She had short hair and was in a t-shirt and jeans.  She told me all about herself.  Another girl arrived.  This one was a little fashion plate wearing pink leggings with lace under her dress and a hairband and bracelet that matched.  She had big brown eyes and a head full of wildly curly hair.  The last student was a little boy with white blonde hair, and he decided that he didn't want to talk today.  

As I introduced myself, my son would step forward and point at me and say, "She's MY Mom" very proudly.  He is very happy that I am his Sunday School teacher this year.  

The lesson was "God made everything."  We went over the six days of creation and the seventh day of rest.  We played counting games.  We colored pictures.  We danced.  We played a game about the four seasons.  

The little girl with short hair is named Isabelle.  Isabelle makes my son look quiet and well-behaved.  She is a wild thing.  Every other minute, I was having to say, "Isabelle, that is NOT okay."  "Isabelle, use your 'inside' voice."  "Isabelle, please stop drawing on your clothes with crayons."  "Isabelle, please don't step on the animal crackers."  

She calmed down as the class went on, and I could see her looking at me out of the corner of her eye.  I asked her what her favorite thing was that God created, and she said "flowers in a garden."  So, I got her busy "creating" an imaginary flower garden.  She was very happy to be doing this.  

The little boy who wouldn't talk was very captivated by my son who talks constantly.  My son got him involved in coloring and then rolling up the coloring sheets like a telescope and playing pirates.  

The little fashion plate girl was watching people out the room's window and commenting on things she saw that were "pretty".  

Finally, the hour had passed, and the parents came to pick them up.  Isabelle came up to me and said, "You're very nice.  You don't look like you're nice, but you are."  Then she gave me a big hug and ran to her older sister.  I considered that to be mighty high praise from Miss Isabelle.  I think we'll get along just fine now that she has decided that I am, indeed, a nice person.  

I returned the little fashion plate to her Mom, and the little boy who doesn't speak to his Dad.  

I survived the first day.  I'm glad there were just four kids today, I don't know that I could've handled seven AND Isabelle.  I did enjoy teaching today.  It should be a very interesting nine months with these little ones.  

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good."  Genesis 1:31


2 comments:

  1. And I hear my mother saying, I hope you have a child just like you. As you are aware, I didn't have any, but obviously God has a sense of humor and sent you a "Jamie clone."

    ReplyDelete